Literacy Council of Western Arkansas
300 South 11th Street
PO Box 423
Fort Smith, AR 72902-0423
Executive Director, Heather Edwards
Improving basic reading, writing and math skills.”
The Literacy Council of Western Arkansas has been in operation for more than 25 years. Its mission is to enable students to acquire or improve basic reading, writing and math skills, which will enhance their self-image in order to participate more fully in society.
The council offers:
- Tutoring one-to-one for adults in reading, writing, listening, speaking, and mathematics (basic arithmetic) skills.
- Tutoring in small groups English as a Second Language (ESL) adults and older youths in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
- Assistance to potential citizenship candidates in United States history and government knowledge in preparation for the citizenship exam.
- Workshops to train any adult to become a tutor using Laubach methods and techniques, and other methods offered through the academic world. English as a Second Language also uses Laubach methods.
- The training involves a six hour on-site training session supplemented by free on-line coursework.